Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Make Your Own Bisquick

Bisquick is perhaps our most used ingredient in the Epic Carson household. We've been married all of 6 weeks and I've already used it to make plenty of biscuits, pancakes, and cheddar cheese biscuits. Tonight we're having friends over to watch the UGA vs Missouri game so that calls for snacks! And we actually had all the ingredients for Sausage Cheese Balls. YUM! Except we were a little short on Bisquick. I had been wanting to make my own after figuring it could be that hard and Bisquick isn't cheap. So after scouring the internet I made some!

If you take a look at the side of a Bisquick box, you'll see there aren't many ingredients. Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Oil (shortening), Leaving (baking soda), Dextrose (sugar), and Salt. 


So, using this recipe I made my own. Add all the dry ingredients (and I did totally add a tablespoon of sugar) and whisk together (so much faster than sifting!).


Add the shortening and cut in using a pastry cutter until mix resembles course meal. You could also use a food processor but I didn't want to get mine out. It took me about 2-3 minutes to mix it all in. 


Looks pretty good!




Store in an air-tight container. (I used this one that was left behind from the people who own our house.)


Ta-da!!! I'm making up the sausage balls shortly and I'll let you know how the baking mix turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment